Saturday, October 26, 2013

Flickr Slideshow

I have created a short slideshow of just a few pieces of physical media from some of my favorite albums.  Every single piece comes from my own personal collection.  "Whenever, If Ever" is currently my album of the year for 2013, and stands as one of my top 10 albums of all time.  Some great "twinkly" emo with some post-rock tendencies, resulting in some great crescendos.  Also shown is my copy of the recent repressing of "Geogaddi", including the sticker sheet exclusive to this repressing.  "Jesu" is one of my favorite drone metal albums, and the album art is the source of my icon on many online sites.  Finally, "Giles Corey" is a somewhat rare release from record label "Enemies List Home Recordings".  This particular copy is in good shape, and comes with the accompanying book.

You can view the slideshow here.

You can view the set itself here, where you can view the notes for further information.

6 comments:

  1. It sounds like you are pretty familiar with this kind of site. Would you recommend any one that is better than the other? What is your favorite?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I assume you are referring to Flickr? Though they are a massive amount of image hosting sites, Flickr is easily the best hands down if you are looking for somewhere to host photography. The storage is rather generous and the community portion is fine. Personally, the only downside is the rather sloppy layout of the website itself. There also appears to be a slight "lag" in the menus.

      Delete
    2. I completely agree with the layout being terrible. I already had a personal account that I was planing on using for this class, but I deleted it since I barely used it and do another one and I really regret doing that. It is a good website but it is hard to get around.

      Delete
  2. Great pictures in the flickr slideshow. Really well done as each was interesting and related to your blog. I'll be checking this blog out in the near future!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Whenever, If Ever album is gorgeous. The image note claims that it is the "first pressing" vinyl. Does that mean that after a certain amount of records, they went to a standard cover? You have an interesting collection and I will have to spend some time listening to those albums.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many modern record labels create limited first pressings of a record which are often given a special vinyl color different from the standard mass pressing. Different covers are not out of the question, but are uncommon. Though often unconventional and far from cost effective, they are seen as a form of appreciation for fans who eagerly await an album release and make the purchase as soon as it is available. Unfortunately, these are all too often put in the hands of people with an intent to resell them for more than they were originally sold for. That particular initial pressing is limited to 200 copies on the clear vinyl with blue and green splatter. It sold out within hours of being made available for purchase, but I was lucky enough to snag a copy.

      Delete